01 Nov 2018
Salesian Saint of November: Blessed Artemides Zatti
Blessed Artemides Zatti (1880-1951), religious
November 14* (U.S.A.), memorial for SDBs
optional memorial for FMAs and DBVs
November 13 (Canada and elsewhere)
November 14 marks the memorial of Bl. Artemides Zatti, SDB (1880-1951) in the United States, transferred on account of a conflict in the U.S. with the higher-ranked obligatory memorial of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (Table of Liturgical Days, III, 11). In Canada, the memorial of Bl. Artemides remains on November 13.
adapted from www.sdb.org
Early life and vocation
Artemides Zatti was born in Boretto, in the province of Reggio Emilia, Italy, on October 12, 1880, to Louis Zatti and Albina Vecchi, who were farmers. (Through his mother, Bro. Artemides was related to Fr. Juan Edmundo Vecchi, eighth successor of Don Bosco.) From his earliest years, he was accustomed to work and sacrifice. By the time he was nine, he was earning money as a hired hand.
In 1897 the Zattis, forced by poverty, emigrated to Argentina to establish life anew at Bahia Blanca. They were members of the parish run by the Salesians, and Artemides became a helper to the pastor, Fr. Carlo Cavalli, with whom he often shared work and prayer. He felt a desire to become a Salesian and was accepted as an aspirant by Bishop Cagliero. When he was 20, he entered the community at Bernal.
He began studying in earnest to make up for his late start. Providence entrusted him with assisting a young priest who was ill with tuberculosis, and who then died in 1902. On the day when Artemides was to receive his clerical habit, he too was found to have contracted the disease. When he got back to the community, Fr. Cavalli sent him to the mission hospital in Viedma. Fr. Evarisio Garrone, with wide experience in the task, was in charge of the hospital. Artemides, along with him, asked and obtained from Mary Help of Christians the grace of recovery, promising to dedicate his entire life to looking after the sick.
Infirmarian and pharmacist
He recovered and kept his promise. In 1908 he made his perpetual profession. At first he looked after the pharmacy attached to the hospital, where he learned how Fr. Garrone worked: only those who could afford to had to pay. When Fr. Garrone died in 1911, Bro. Artemides took on the entire responsibility. He was completely dedicated to the sick. He earned certification as a nurse. People sought him out and admired him. For the personnel at the hospital, he was not only an excellent director but, above all, an excellent Catholic layman.
This is how he spent his day: He rose at 4:30 a.m. He made meditation and heard Mass with the community. He made his rounds to visit all the sick. Then on bicycle he would head out to visit the sick around the city. After lunch he would play an enthusiastic game of bocce with those who were recovering. From 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. he would visit those in the hospital again as well as those outside. Then until 8:00 p.m. he would work in the pharmacy. Then back to the hospital again. Until 11:00 p.m. he would study medicine, and finally, do some spiritual reading. Then he would go to bed, but he was always available for anyone who called for help. When Don Bosco was dreaming of his Salesian brothers, he certainly wanted them to be holy like Artemides.
An exemplary Salesian brother
In 1913 Bro. Artemides led the construction of the new hospital. To his great disappointment, it was demolished in 1941 to make room to build a residence for the bishop of the newly created diocese of Viedma. Without being discouraged, he started out afresh. As for Don Bosco, Providence was the first, certain entry in any of the accounting he had to do. Mary Help of Christians never abandoned him.
On July 19, 1950, at age up, he went up a ladder to do some repairs on a water tank. He slipped and fell. Seriously injured, he was confined to bed. After some months, signs of cancer showed up, and this proved fatal. He passed into eternity on March 15, 1951.
John Paul II beatified Bro. Artemides on April 14, 2002. His body rests in the Salesian chapel at Viedma.